What information do I need to send with my scanning order?
For any order you are sending in please send a covering note with the following information:
- A count of each size of film and the expected resolution and whether to exclude negative inversion (we will include as standard)
- The film snipped to individual frames (unless you want the whole strip scanning)*
- We’re happy to remove 35mm film from slide holders but will return to you in mylar sleeves
- Include your contact details (it’s surprising how many people don’t)
- Return address
- Email address
- Telephone number
- Any notes for scanning
- If you wish to have negative film processed for a particular ‘look’, please include jpg samples or links to examples
- Your preferred return postal service
How do I know my order has arrived?
Once your parcel has arrived with us, we will book it into production and confirm via email.
We typically are able to turn around orders within 10 working days but our guarantee is 20 working days. If you wish to pay the urgent surcharge (50%) then we endeavour to turn the job around in 2 working days. Please call to confirm availability for urgent jobs.
Return postage varies depending on the size of the parcel. UK is typically £2.35 (first class signed). If you require special delivery for UK postage, please let us know on your order. We will return film once full payment has been received.
Please let us know what service you require for return postage. For returning international film we can either use Royal Mail International Delivery which had a few options or a courier such as DHL Express (which are reasonably charged).We haven’t lost any film yet but if you have a particular preference we can usually accommodate it.
We send scans via wetransfer to the email address that you provide. Up in Glencoe we have super fast broadband, which enables up to send the files in a matter of hours.
We hand invert colour negatives to ensure that no highlight or shadow detail is lost – we make a small charge for this service but the results speak for themselves. If you have old film that has strong colour casts we can also post process these to correct them for the same charge as colour negative inversion. If you wish to invert your negatives yourselves or don’t mind an automated inversion, please get in touch or make this clear in your package. Read more on inversions on colour negatives.
Roll film strips
Roll film should be trimmed to each individual frame that needs scanning otherwise a surcharge will be added up to 50% of the cost of the unscanned frames on the strip (please contact us regarding this. If we are relatively quiet we may be able to reduce this).
Please check that it is easy to remove film from any mounts or frames. If a frame needs substantial cleaning (because of glue for instance) a surcharge will be added up to 50% of the cost of the scan. This is typically only a problem with some 35mm slide mounts that are fixed in place using red ‘goo’ which is, quite frankly, the work of the devil. we will attempt to return the film to it’s original packaging/mount if it is simple to do so.
For orders over £100, a 50% initial payment is needed. If you are a first time customer with an order over £30, payment in advance of work is required. If you have a very large order (over £500) please call to confirm turnaround times.
Payment options for scans
We will send you an invoice via email, once we have confirmed the final amount (depending on the return postage)
You can pay via:
- Paypal (you can send payments to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Credit card (UK only) at paypal.me/photoservices
- Cheque (made payable to Bespoke Photography Services)
- Bank transfer (details available upon request).